Thursday, October 29, 2015

Woodworking Project: Round Robin

The Northeastern Woodworkers Association has a program that has a few teams of five woodworkers sequentially develop objects that are presented and auctioned off at the NWA Family Night in December. There are two stipulations for contributions: 
     1. Primarily use wood; and
     2. Insure it fits into the given large cardboard carton, with lid closed.

Our team has three men and two women. I received the project from two folk before me. The first lady had scroll-sawed an elaborately beautiful abstract flat piece of cherry wood, 6 by 11 inches. 

The second person incorporated this into the top of a cherry wood box suitable for displaying jewelry, very small compared to the two cubic foot carton it came in. Since the cover of this box was separate, I connected the top to the bottom by adding brass hinges. This involved cutting away some of both the top and bottom so that the top only opens a bit over ninety degrees. I also added mahogany separators to partition the inside. I made them short enough so a tray could be added to provide additional storage surface without hitting the top.
Cherry Wood Box with Scroll-sawed Design in Top
Open Box Showing Partitions and Hinges
View of Open Box Showing Top Detail
Because the floor of the box was made of masonite that is not very attractive, I procured adhesive-backed felt to line the inside. I did not apply it because it would be difficult to keep clean while the last two participants add their touches, including applying some type of final finish to the wood. I received the box with some kind of varnish applied that required me to remove it in order to add my details. It would be best if the fifth person, a lady, has the freedom to finish it as she likes, without having to deal with layers of other finishes. She can then add the felt, or something else, if she likes.

I can't wait to see how it ends up!







No comments:

Post a Comment